Sunday, March 30, 2008

A Splendid Surprise.

This past Thursday we had unexpected and wildly welcome visitors. Sharon and Fernando found themselves, quite unexpectedly, in the area. After one phone call went unanswered I received a message that could only be shared between long time and comfortable friends, informing me that they were at the moment of decision and wanted to come see us even if it meant sleeping Charlie and the Chocolate Factory Style (Head to Toe four to a bed like Charlie's Grandparents). 6 hours later, (and after one brief stint to what would have become the Ocean) they were on our couch and it was as if no time had past since our last face to face. (In actuality it had been years with one all too brief lunch last summer.)

I had the next day off of work (mostly) and I had the most wonderful day with one of my favorite couples.

We spent most of the day walking the city and seeing what ever popped in to our heads. We took a ferry and saw the Brooklyn Bridge and the Statue of Liberty. We stopped in at Ground Zero and walked down Wall Street. We went to our favorite book store and picked up some great books for Miranda and Sammy. We went to FAO Swartz and took a walk through Central Park then down 5th Ave and the whole day began and ended at the Temple.

And We Ate.

At one point, the day had almost beat us down (we all were operating on 5 hours (if that) of sleep) and we went to a restaurant just for dessert, even though it was 4 in the afternoon and we had plans for dinner in 2 hours. We needed a Pick Me Up and it came looking like this...


And then it looked like this...



Which made us look like this...




It was a wonder filled day spent with long time and comfortable friends.

Lindsay had to be grown up and work and spent most of the day missing and being missed. Her only comfort was the promise of return trips to follow. But for now, I think back on what must have been an exhausting day for the Seminarios winding its way down in Central Park, as we talked under that cloud covered sky as if were a daily tradition, and I was grateful for friends like these.





~p

7 comments:

mckenzie said...

they do look just a little beat. did they tell you about head to toe and in and out of the the covers? it's a requirement for the seminarios, from me. ; )

Momma said...

What a special day! With your travel guide gifts obviously in tact! It is good to collect good friends along the way, and to just need a few minutes to catch up and you are off to new memories and adventures. You are one remarkable inspiring person. And I mean that so sincerely, I could expound on and on! But as a mother, some would think I was exaggerating, but really I am not! Love forever, Momma

Molly said...

The Seminarios have been discovered! Thanks for the hint on how to find them. I kept checking their blog for some inkling of their whereabouts... It sounds like you guys shared an amazing day. Three cheers for P & L for treating Sharon & Fernando right!

S&F Seminario said...

We were there and verify all of the above. We will blog about the day over on our lot soon, but it will never compare in beauty or eloquence or made up stuff that comes off as true (which there is very little in this post, I must say). We miss you and wish we could spend lots and lots of time with you two. You are a perfectly perfect couple. Thanks for hosting us so magnificently at the last moment.

Stacy said...

I'm sufficiently jealous. Only having been to New York one time in my life, I missed out on all those tourist things in favor of a few good Broadway plays (and a few bad ones too if I remember right). I need to stop saying I'm going to come and just come already.

P and L said...

Serious.

The UnMighty said...

Small world. I work with Fernando and can verify that he is a first rate human being

Great pictures.