Thursday, March 13, 2008

Because Sharon Asked.

So, I know there are those of you out there that think about us and say to yourself, "I think it's cute that they tried to move to New York but ended up in Jersey. It's cute but, I would never live in New Jersey." Well, here is the story of how it all went down.

Lindsay applied (and recieved a scholarship) to the City University of New York. It's on 34th Street, you know the one that had the "Miracle"; also, it is across the street from the Empire State Building, so when Lindsay goes to school, this is where she goes:
That's the view from the front door of her school.

So I got a job on 87th and 3rd on the upper east side. Just a few avenues away from Central Park and the Met, so when I went to work, I went there. Today I just got home from my new location at Rockefeller Center, You know, the Christmas Tree with the Ice Skating Rink, or 'The Today Show' so this is where I go now:
The address of my new place of employment is "50 Rock," for those of you in the know. I don't mean to go on about how cool New York is (real cool), but to convey the New York-ness of our House here...


In Jersey.

When we looked for an apartment in the city, we were shown tiny little rooms in scary spots that were not close to anywhere we needed to be. Note: we were actually shown a room with a hot plate and a small window, Lindsay said to the man, "Uhh we have a queen sized bed" and the man replied with a laugh, "Well, that won't fit in here!" That little room was a subtle $1400.00 a month.

Regardless of the horrible house hunting experience (and it was horrible) we had no other option.

Our dear friends had set us up with their dear friends who were living in Tukahoe. It was incredibly gracious (think about it, would you let total strangers come stay at your house?). It turned out that they had a brother who was with his wife in Asia for a month and we could stay in their apartment for a few weeks. (The couple in Asia ended up becoming our best friends Liz and Jared of the St. Patrick's day post.) They lived in Hoboken.

We had never considered Jersey because we were moving to Manhattan. One day we were getting ready for a day of house hunting in the city when we passed a small realtor who had an apartment listed in our range. We asked about it and the woman told us she didn't even have the keys yet and didn't know anything about the property. We gave her our name and went back to Liz and Jared's and made some appointments in the city. An hour later, just as we were leaving, the woman called and said she could take us to see that place we had asked about. We almost turned her down but we were in the area and not in a place to be real picky. She walked us down Garden Street, a beautiful, tree-lined street with parks and colorful brownstone buildings. I honestly thought that this was some realtor trick to make us think we were in a good area, but there at 615 she stopped and we went in. It was (and is) small but sweet. It has a great big kitchen...


lovely nooks for reading or just sitting...


a delightful patio/backyard area...


perfect spots for books and flowers (which came from the backyard)...


a cozy place for sleeping (and sniffing, apparently)...


and a romantic view of the neighbors. (Yes, that really is the view from our patio, and yes, the rainbow is real.)
It truly is a wonderfully charming home, and we adore it (and, somewhat begrudgingly, Jersey). Won't you come and visit? If we have the time, we could stop into New York, too!

~P & L


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahh, truly inspirational.
As Hobokenites, it is so important (not to mention classy) to remind ourselves of how unique our surroundings are.
Now I recall how my heart went thump as I first emerged in the old-timey Lackawanna train station, and then the complete awe I felt at seeing the magnificent view of the city from the boardwalk.
I'm in love all over again.

Lisa said...

We'll be RIGHT OVER! With our FIVE children. . .thanks for the invite!!!

Stacy said...

Charming. I hope we are able to come out and visit before you move back to suburbia like the rest of us and leave the cool city life behind. Are you coming back? You have been out there two or three years now, right? Time to trade Broadway and the Met for Hale Center Theatre and the Dinosaur Museum at Thanksgiving Point. Oh, and near daily trips to Wal-mart, we can't forget that.

P and L said...

Lisa -- Don't threaten unless you're willing to back it up. We would GLADLY host you & your bood -- Patrick's been dying to do a "Kids' New York" agenda, but no one ever brings their kids.

Spencer and Joanie said...

OOH! I miss it!! It truly is amazing that you guys ended up in the perfect apartment, in the perfect city, with the perfect skyline view across the river. We miss you!! Maybe we will invite ourselves to come back soon as well...who knows, since you offered to let Lisa's kids come...maybe you could handle ours as well?!?
Love You Guys!!

Anonymous said...

I WAAANT TO MOOOOVE TO JEEERRRSEY!!! WAAAH!

Fantastic post!

Ace said...

Hey kids. Angie (Carr) Terburg and I are going to by in NYC June15-22. Please come play.

S&F Seminario said...

How can I love a post more than this one that actually has my name in the title (SO gracious of you) and that showcases your everlastingly better style and coolness than everyone else. I have to say that we're coming to DC next week. How far is it to you from there? I REALLY don't know. And what happened to the frog ballet? I liked it, for the record. You truly live a charmed life and you deserve it. The stuff books are made of. By the way, shouldn't I be expecting that soon, also? I want you to know that I was just thinking the other day about how I asked for pictures of your house and how you probably forgot. What a pleasant surprise.

Liz Stanley said...

"our best friends liz and jared"

(YES!!!)