Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Water.

So there are times when your life changes forever after that moment. This story is about one of those.

My best friend Cory and my best friend Joanie had decided to take an 4 hour drive down to the red rocks of Utah and hike 12 miles off the road...in the desert... and camp in a place called Escalante.


























One quick search on the Internet for images of 'Escalante' will give you a ton of shots like the above.

And below:



Beautiful, I know. But I should begin by telling any whack job stranger reading this blog that I am not known for my "Camping Skills." It's true I am an Eagle Scout, but an overzealous scout master/scout master's wife, enough 'Fine Arts' merit badges, and one puppet show at a children's hospital and you find yourself with all the awards and none of the qualifications.

Any of you who know me are already skipping to the end...where I will most certainly be crying. This story will not disappoint.

SO! We make the drive and all Cory talks about is this basketball tournament (the NBA Playoffs) and all Joanie is talking about is her new hot boyfriend (my brother) who stayed behind, most likely to watch the tournament.

We park the car. This is important, as this parking lot will soon become the golden-gated deliverance from Hell. But not then. Then I was thinking how far away this lot seemed from everything. I had been expecting big, red, rock canyons, but this was flat desert.

Cory set out the plan. Cory had the experience. Cory had done this before. Cory should have known better.

"We'll walk along the river and then hike through the canyon, then up and camp under this cliff next to the river." He stated.

"What river?" I asked.

"That one." He pointed to a wet spot in the ground. No joke. It looked liked someone had spilled something in a straight line.

"What canyon?" I asked.

"That one." He pointed to the only thing he could point to, which was this fuzzy, purplish shape on the horizon.

"That!!! That has to be 30 miles away!"

"It's ten."

So we're walking. Keep in mind, Joanie and I had spent the day before at Nordstrom's picking out some real cute hiking shoes for the journey, and Joanie had got these hot little Doc Martins with chunky laces that looked great with the green cargo shorts she got to match. In time, these shoes would be filled with blood.

We walked and talked for a while; then, we just walked. The ground was beach sand (or, ya know, Desert Sand), so as you walked on it your feet would kinda push out and away from the ankle, something I think you would only notice if you were walking 8 miles in and your ankles begin to feel like taffy on the taffy pull, but it's freezing in the taffy pull, so it keeps stretching and snapping. You know, like that.

We do make it to the rocks (our first land mark), and the rocks turn into a canyon and the dark patch of water does turn into a stream and the canyon turns into a mountain and the stream into a river and the whole thing is beautiful -- I mean, better than the pictures. It was magic, it came from nowhere in the middle of nowhere and we were there. Well... almost there. We had to stop and fill up our water bottles at this little waterfall...which is to say, water dripping of this mossy rock. I was not too keen on this task but, as there didn't seem to be a Sev anywhere near by, I did what I had to do.

We make it to our cliff and camp next to the river, and the sky is littered with stars and the moon makes it bright as day out there. It is magnificent and well worth the journeying.

And we sleep.

The next day, we spend the morning eating some of the canned food we packed in (cause cans are light and won't snap your back as you walk through the desert) and we play in the river and it is fun. The plan was to spend one day hiking in, camp there for two days, and then spend one day hiking out. That was the plan before my nap. That cursed nap. Had I just stayed awake.

I woke up to the sound of cans being stuffed into backpacks.

"What's going on?"

"We're leaving." Cory says. "I want to see how the Playoffs played out and Joanie wants to get back to Spence."

"Wait. What? We just got here. I just took a nap."

"If we leave now, we can make it back to the car before dark."

"It's, like, noon."

"Yeah, grab your stuff."

{I don't mean to make Cory out to sound like a Nazi but in this case he was. A Nazi from Hell.}

So, we begin to walk back (our backpacks still brimming with the four-day supply of food we never got to). So, here's the math for you: 12 miles in. 12 miles out. Less than 12 hours rest between the two. TWENTY-FOUR MILES of taffy-snapping steps back to the 4 hour car ride back to basketball and boyfriends. It's a wonder I speak to either of them.

We make our stop at Moss Rock and I don't fill all the way up...'cause there are floaties.

I know that I built this up to have some big event, and I wish there would have been. I wish I had stepped on a snake and had to have been helicoptered out of that inferno but there was not.

We walked.

We walked.

Cory eventually broke way out in front and we lost sight of him. Sometimes we would catch up to him resting but then we would rest and he would leave and we would eventually follow his footprints. I guess he loves basketball.

Joanie finally stopped walking with me and stayed pretty much 50 feet ahead, which didn't matter, we could not talk. One: we were dying. Two: it was her fault. I can still remember watching each little hill come and go and we would stand on top each one and look for the parking lot, squinting and straining to see it and absolutely knowing at the next hill we would see it.

Once, I looked up to see Joanie on the hill in front of me and she was standing there, not moving. When I got up to her, she was looking out over the trail that led us here, with no car in sight and she was sobbing. And so I cried. And we stood there crying, knowing that we couldn't sit down and cry or we wouldn't get up; we truly believed we would not get up.

The water was gone and there was nothing. I remember thinking I would never EVER drink anything other than water for the rest of my life. The idea of Coke made my tongue plunge down the back of my throat. I could feel Coke sticking to my teeth, the sweet sickness clinging to the roof of my mouth that was panting for relief. I was dying. I was dying and the only thing I wanted was clean, cool, water.

Some hikers are coming toward me. Play it cool, man. Don't let them see you've been crying.

The looks on their faces were so encouraging. "We just left the car maybe...one mile back, maybe two. " They must have sensed my discouragement. Either that or they just passed a sobbing girl in her Doc Martins 50 feet ahead of me. Certainly the mud on my face made from the mixture of dust and tears was no indication. " You can do it, Man, just a little bit more."

We walked.

I could feel my body and mind separate as if my brain said, "Look, just put one foot in front of the other. You don't need me for that, I'll be over here if you do."

I looked up and saw Joanie at a hill 50 feet a head and she collapsed. She was either dead or she saw the car.

When we got to the car, we saw legs sticking out from underneath. Cory did not have the keys. It was Joanie's car and it's a good thing, as he may have left us in his mad quest for Scores. He told us that he had felt miserable for making us do what we had done, and he had wanted to get to the car, dump off his backpack and come back for ours -- as if anyone who just finished this journey would have turned around and started it up again.

Joanie sat in the car with her feet out on the ground and pealed off her boots and, as promised, blood dripped out. Her feet looked like chewed up hamburger with blisters that had popped and reformed and popped again.

I remember laying flat in the back seat as we drove, my legs pounding and seizing up when we pulled into a gas station.

"You coming in?" Cory asked.

"Choke on your own face."

"Do you want anything?"

Brief Pause.

"Water."

Even now when we're at a restaurant and the waiter asks, even though I know he will judge me, I remember this moment and mouth gets quenched, my legs tighten up and I say the same thing.

~p

9 comments:

Rachel said...

Yea- it sounds bad. I have my own bad camping experiences! I might have to blog about them too. This made me think of the time I slept over at Allyson's house and we got you and walked up to the Bruin Bowl to watch the sunrise, but didn't realize that the sun doesn't rise at 1:00 AM (how silly of us!) And then those crazy guys came and climbed up the ladder to the announcer's box where we were laying and scared the crap out of us- and then we pretended to have hang overs or something like that. Do you remember that one?

Anonymous said...

You know what? Pioneer children also walked long distances, and they sang as they walked, and walked, and walked, and walked, and walked.

So, you know, next time, sing.

I'm just sayin'.

Spencer and Joanie said...

I am crying from laughing so hard...Or maybe it is from the memories that you conjured up with your ever so detailed writing of our death hike to the car. I do remember cursing both of you at the fact that I had to get out my roll of TP and hike 500 yds away to use the bathroom...so not only do you KNOW what I am about to do...You two were rubbing it in my face that all you had to do is walk to the cliff, stand and relieve yourself. And yet, I remember some very good moments and for some insane reason, I REALLY want to do it again. Although, I am pretty sure Cory would never bring us...maybe we can get a guide and of course this time I can bring my "boyfriend", wear broken in boots and bring water purification tablets, so we won't be so grossed out with the floaties...then we could stay all FOUR days! You in??

Canderson said...

It is apparent that you have sensationalized a rather simple fond memory into a traumatic experience, over sensationalized to garner sympathy and support.

Maybe not.

Either way, I make the same horrific hike every Spring Break. You and yours are always invited.

Jesse Harward said...

Just wanted to say you guys have a hell of a blog. I always look forward to the next post. Love and kisses -- Jesse

Stacy said...

I remember vaguely hearing of this trip and I was laughing at how spot on all the details sounded knowing all of our dramatic personalities back then (right down to the purchase of the cute shorts and shoes to idealize the trip even further).
But what really capped off this reading experience for me was Adam's perfectly sarcastic comment. Welcome to the blogging world Adam!

Momma said...

I really like knowing Adam knows the primary songs, that's my take away from this excellent adventure. I know it actually happened as recounted. It obliterated the small camping gene Patch ever had, except for Flaming Gorge, and only then when Lindsay packs, and shops for the most excellent food! Thanks for the memories (that's what old people say). Love forever, Momma

Mallory said...

I think I've heard this story from you directly 2 times, and now I've read it 3. It doesn't get old and I enjoy it more every time!!!!

kerry said...

You are a fantastic story teller.