Wednesday, November 19, 2008

The Old New York.


I was at work yesterday and the big talk was snow. The store is getting set up for the Holidays (which you can't call Christmas, because there are lots of Holidays, but we are using an awful lot of pine trees for Kwanzaa.). Someone had heard on the news that it could snow in the morning.

So there we were setting up ornaments and singing,

'Fah who for-aze! Dah who dor-aze!
Welcome Christmas,
Christmas Day'*


And outside it started snowing. On Fifth Avenue in New York City, it snowed. And we had been so busy we almost missed it. So me and my manager are sitting there clutching mittens and scarfs to our chests watching the first snow fall over this amazing back drop and one of the associates next to us said, 'Yeah, I saw that earlier...I thought it was trash falling.' Which can happen in New York and does look like snow.

~p



*I had to look up the lyrics as I thought they were these:

"Ah Roo Door and Ah Roo more and Welcome Christmas, Christmas Day!"

What did you think they were?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Dav-ooh, door-rays, fav-ooh door rays. Who knew?

I love the whole "Holidays" things. I get that people celebrate different things, but our gift cards have Santa Claus on them, not menorahs, and yet we are not allowed to say "Merry Christmas."

I love Anthro at Christmas time.

Loralee said...

How fun! I love that it just started snowing as you were decorating! There is just something fun about the first snow in New York! I love it.

Momma said...

I love imagining you clutching mittens and scarfs to your chest with wide eyes in wonder. We put up our new Christmas (we are allowed to call it that here in the Dean's office at the BYU)trees yesterday, with new shiny big balls and 1000 prelit lights. People seem to like them. No snow,however, but students with bags under their eyes and heads down and back packs so heavy the students might tip over moving toward finals, mark the season in another way. Always thinking of you, Love forever, Momma

S&F Seminario said...

Fah hoo doray ahh hoo dor ay. I'm okay close, don't you think? We haven't had sound on our computer for awhile so I felt out of the loop with your high-tech posts, so thank you for this and LINDSAY! Thank you for the post above because it is beautiful. I tell Miranda if she doesn't behave then she'll "lose a book" which means we will read only two instead of the three we read every night. She always tries to "earn the book back" and of course I let her because HEY if she turns out like you that will be WONDERFUL.