Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Someone for Summer.


I fear our blog has become boring and, worse, stagnant. But we have the wonderful privilege of living in a place that our people want to come to, and so, when summer comes and there is time to leave, people do.

My youngest brother and his wife came to take in New York this week and were a host's dream. We came home early, slept in late, wandered if we wanted to, saw what was presented to us, but never felt pressed to seek much out.

Also, there was much shopping.

Shopping was the lead but it was supported by a slew of supporting roles, i.e., the Zoo, Chocolate, Rain, BBQs, BBQs in the Rain, Doughnuts, Home Made Thai Food, Ozzie, Walking, Caribbean Food, Tiger Spat, Testimony Meeting, Unused Umbrellas, Shoes, No Fire Works, Waitress, Posing Monkeys, The PATH, Shoes, Baby Clothes, Friends, and Family. It was Perfect.

Mallory is expecting her first child and she trounced around the city with the greatest of ease. My first endeavor to this city was tucked sweetly in my own mothers womb, and I feel it's when my love for the world's cities began...well, probably not really, but I did come here in my mom's belly and I did spend most of my adolescence scheming my return. So who are you to tell me it didn't happen while my family walked around commenting on how dangerous and filthy the city is?

I like to imagine that picture: My Grandparents and Parents walking in a heard, clad in 70's fashions, all gripping each other and the two older boys, no one looking up as one eye is on the kids and the other on the wallet, while all round them people pass and bump and swear. All the while my ears pressed firmly to the edge of my abode, watching red-orange shapes silhouetted as my vessel turns into the sun. It was there I formed my life's aspirations. Certainly, I became contented to live in tight quarters, and sing like a crazy person, and relax to the rhythm of the subway. Yes, yes, I'm sure it was then and not the TV and Movies and Books that put the City as the only suitable backdrop for life's adventures. No, mine was mingled with the preexistence, a destiny to be fulfilled, a life to be conquered!

It would also explain the undying need to be next to my Mother. (sigh)


~P

3 comments:

Casey&Mal said...

Aw...I love this! So cute! Well done! We had the BEST time with you guys!
This post makes me think our baby will love the City too!!!
We can't wait for you guys to come visit us next!

Casey said...

If I may, I think you left one event out on your list, and that is "That’s what she said" jokes, in abundance!
Of course, it was a blast!! we seriously had so much fun, and you guys were the perfect hosts.

Momma said...

Casey & Mal have created an idyllic picture of your adventure, and now you seem to have had the same. Patch always has been a child of the world, but please remember; the next chapter of your great adventure could include residence in a UT zip code! That could be in your divine destiny as well.
Love forever,
Momma