Monday, February 11, 2008

I miss cars.

Let me tell you why we are better then you. We don't have a car. No Car. Nothing. We do not have a car payment. We do not pay for gas. (Not even the 'good ol' days gas' that cost
$1.12 a gallon.) We do not pay for insurace, and the two accidents my wife got in the year we lived in Lindon are moving their way off her record without any hope of new ones. Life without a car is sweet, if you can get it. Most of you can't. (Save Justin and Sarah, you know.)

Most of the time we are real proud of the fact. Sure, it puts you tramping through the most unforgiving winters the heavens can muster, and sure, you have to develop deep and meaningful relationships based purely on the other couple's ability to take you to Ikea (sorry Balsers, but you knew). But for all that we loose, we gain, and then some. Except...

This is probably my favorite car I've ever had, and I have loved the cars I've had. (Incidentally this is not the actual car but mine looked just like it... I don't know who is in this car.) This beast got, like, 4 miles to the gallon and cost 35 bucks to fill up and I was filling up in the year 2000, so that was a lot. But I loved it and it was mine.

My Father also loves cars. In my adolescence he was driving this...

He was up at 6:30 in the morning washing this car in the garage in the dead of winter. I loved this car. In this car was the first (and only) accident I ever got in...with another car. (I've hit curbs and garbage cans causing major damage to my vehicles but only once had an accident with another car.) Some very very old man coming out of Sears on Freedom Blvd. ran in to me and Jenny Lloyd and Allison Lowery (whom we had illegally stuffed into the back where there was no seat). That was a bad day. My father (who is perfect) said that it could have happened to anyone, I just happened to be the one driving at the time. (He was right, by the way; that very very old man was nothing less then a hazard on the roads at night.)

And so, for my 17th Birthday, despite monumental financial stress, my Dad got me this car...

only mine had a black bra, and so because it looked like a space shuttle I name him Rocket, my first car. It was not a fancy car; point of fact, it had zero interior upholstery, so when you rolled down the windows you could see the glass moving into the frame of the door. Also, the driver's seat would unexpectedly recline on its own, so we stuck a broom that reached from the back of the car and stuck pointedly into the drivers back making it feel like the driver was a spoiled princess sleeping on a mattress covered pea (and by pea I mean sharp stick. It never occurred to us at the time, but had I been rear ended I most certainly would have been kabobbed by this broom). This was aided in the fact that the car had no back seat, which aided the fact that the battery, located where the back seat should be, often came unattached or, in some extreme cases, caught fire. Either way, I had to pull over and operate. Despite its heavy smell of petrol, I loved this car. I remember driving to school that January 9th, 1996 and Joanie Pead was disgusted that I got anything I wanted--which we all know, just under true and everlasting love, envy is the most desired emotion by the high school student. Thanks, Dad.

I have had other less cool cars... Lindsay once wrecked this...
(My most boring but dependable car (after the Wagoneer I wanted a car that would start every time you turned the key).) And so we went across the street and traded the wrecked car in for these two cars...

How do you get two cars for one busted up car? You just can alright, don't judge us. And I did love those cars too. (Except I made Lindsay drive the Hyundai cause, come on! I feakin' loved that Cruiser. And don't worry, it's still in the family.)

And so, when you're filling up your Civics for what it used to cost to fill up my Wagoneer, and your thoughts remain steeped in envy for those of us who pay $2 to ride the subway to anywhere we need to get, remember that four-wheeled friend is part of your family and he's all yours, and no homeless man has ever relieved himself in the back corner of your car (to your knowledge). You never have to wait for you car to show up just to take you to six wrong places on the way to the one right one. He keeps your kids safe when you have to run in for a quick second on that hot summer day. And mostly, the hole in your heart is filled, even if disappointedly, whereas the holes in my heart remain on E.

And that is why You are better then Us.

~P

14 comments:

S&F Seminario said...

I have fond memories of a few of those wheels. By the way, excellent piece of writing...using "kabobed" instead of settling for "skewered" really displays your genius, as does the love vs. jealousy Joanie Pead moment. It was fun laugh to laugh so hard because of you...it's nice that humor defies time and distance.

Ace said...

I keep thinking that one day I will be as brilliant as you are at writing blog entries. But I fear I may have to resign myself to being light years behind you.

I also remember the car (a convertible, I think) that we went to homecoming in. The reason I seem to remember that it was a convertible was because there was a c-clamp or something holding the roof on. Is this correct? I think that was some of the most fun I ever had at a date dance. :)

P and L said...

Yes yes Kris, we do not speak of 'The Mustang' You were not the only date that had to dodge that cursed clamp. It was a disgrace and I do not recognize it. But thanks for bringing it up.

Ames and Jer-da-me said...

I knew you guys always thought you were cooler than us...now I know why :) You will have to tell me how you managed to get two cars for the price of one beat up car. Because really...those are some kick-A negotiation skills.

Dottie Stay said...

You are a genius for sure! I am laughing still. I do remember some of those cars too. Wasn't the first one Adam's dad's car? I do remember the mustang only because we rode around in that the night of black, white and sequins right? One of th car memories that i have with yu is the time that Jenny and I made you ride in the truck of my old car that you had named Talula Diane Loretta Francine. I AM SO SORRY!!!! That still haunts me and I am surprised that you are still my friend. At least I think you are right? Oh, you hate me don't you!

Dottie Stay said...

I can't spell. And I need to start proof reading. you know I meant trunk right?

Dottie Stay said...

Sorry, last comment. I have to agree you are much much better than I!! And not just because you don't have a car. That does make me jealous by the way

Ace said...

'The Mustang' reminds me of something that should be a Harry Potter villain--"The Car Who Must Not Be Named."

S&F Seminario said...

Oh no. I had typos too. Funny how many old dates a car post can drag out of the woodwork. Or the webwork. Oh, now I'm a genius. The webwork? I am a genius.

Stacy said...

I too have fond memories of those cars. But, honestly, who can beat the golf cart I used to drive that looked like a Polly Pocket toy compared to my hair in those days? The Yugo's untimely demise on a cold winter's morning in front of Mt. View was actually a blessing because it gave birth to the huge Oldsmobile station wagon era. We used to ditch Acapella in that car like twice a week and named the rattling in the back Henry..or Harry..or Frank or something. Melinda of course will remember the Yugo days as I used to torture her with cold morning rides to school where we often had to jimmy the carborator at stop lights to keep it going.
But back to your cars. I remember the gutted Bug, the old brown convertible that lived in your garage in Cherry Hill, (yes the Mustang too), but the Wagoneer sticks out in my mind. You thought I stuck my nose up at it, but really that thing had so much character it pretty much symbolizes those days. I mean, who remembers my boring black jeep?
Anyways, this post is getting almost as long as your blog. I have tried my hand at the blogging and it is not working out so well. I don't think I have the patience to make it presentable and I enjoy reading other people's blogs much more. But if you want to see the patheticness (if that's a word), it is kentandcompany.blogspot.com.

Jen said...

Yes. I remember the dreaded accident. But, I thought it was an old lady? I also remember going to prom in your dad's car. Good times! :) And who didn't love the bug that made you smell like a gas station after only a few minutes in the passanger seat? I still laugh thinking about it. Bless the bug. Without it I wouldn't have graduated from college. (The whole banned parking problem and you taking me to school every chance I got!)

Stacy said...

Oh, I forgot to mention. With your penchant taste for all things vintage, you were born to drive that PT Cruiser. I think at one point you had all your girl-"friends" decked out in some vintage style frock and 'do. So it was perfect when you married Lindsay too because she pulls off that classic look so well. We always knew whoever you married had to have impeccable style.

Christina said...

A valentine to your cars. Very, very nice! I miss my car, too. the hole in my heart belongs to the PATH train.

Way to go P!

petie said...

I love this post. . .and I love cars. Josh never gets any input when it comes to their purchase. . .he wasn't even present for the last car purchase. My favorite? It still has to be my Black Honda CRX. I'm not cool enough to be retro (like the Bug), but I always wanted a CRX, and finally bought one. It BARELY held two people and would blow off the road with even a minor breeze. . .which maybe isn't the best match with UT weather. But man -- did I love it. Strangely, the older I get (and, let's be honest, the crazier I get), the bigger my car becomes.