Monday, December 22, 2008

Christmas is in the Air!

Sorry our blogging has been a little spotty this month -- December is not really a calm, relaxing time for us, what with P and his job in retail and me enjoying the full-tilt sprint to the end of the semester. What we do have time for, though, is decoration (or, as I Freudian Slippily told my mom, "displays"). I don't know if you know us, but we're kind of big on the way our home looks, especially during the holidays. This is actually somewhat comical and quixotic, because hardly anyone (other than P & I, of course) ever sees the inside of our apartment. Nevertheless, we toil year after year to put together perfect holiday displays. And, hey! Now we have a blog, so everyone can see the inside of our apartment and its charming Christmas makeover.


The anchor of our Christmas display? A $4.99 silver tinsel tree, bought at a fire sale two days after Christmas.

Since you can't just put red and green on a tinsel tree, we opted for shades of hot pink ornaments:

This year, we expanded our color palette slightly to include some teal as well:

These new ornaments (from Anthropologie) are my favorite:

I think it worked out really nicely, don't you?


And, of course, the presents under the tree had to match (okay, so we're a little OCD about our decor).










For our hearth (also known as the repurposed headboard that supports our tiny TV), we went with a "feathers n' candy" theme. What? You didn't know sweets and tweets (he he) went together? Well, consider yourself informed.
P.S. Those stockings? I made them. Sewed 'em. More on that to come.

A lovely dove, reclining on a cherrywood branch. Yes, Virginia, those are pink feathers in the background.


Sweets. I got this idea from Real Simple and, fittingly, it was pretty easy. Just some pretty little glasses filled with sugar and topped with miniature marshmallows and candy canes. Voilà!






So, that's it. Our little corner of Christmas happiness. Okay, so that's not really it. We also have a window display (twine, big lights, and satin balls), a nativity (in the "curio cabinet" (reconfigured children's desk) above the piano), and a small grove of tinsel trees (blue, purple, and pink). But if I give all of those away now, what will I blog about the rest of the week?

~L

6 comments:

Christina said...

It's your house. You're the ones who look at it. BE OCD!! I think it's great!

Unknown said...

Love it, love it, love it. And I love that you stole the candy idea from Real Simple. Remember the thing in Real Simple about the ribbons and Christmas ornaments on the banister? We did that. I loved the candy idea too, but we have small children, so that would never work.

I love non traditional Christmas colors. Ours has orange and bronze ornaments. In fact, most of our ornaments are orange, silver and bronze.

I wish we could see it!!

Casey&Mal said...

I love it!!! I would like to see a close up of your stockings, too....sadly, Casey and I still don't have stockings - I tried to make some one year and they ended up looking more like golf clubs than anything else.
I don't blame you guys one bit for going all out with decorations - it makes it feel SO much like Christmas!!!!

Loralee said...

OCD? No, I call it fabulous.

This post made me feel so much better. I am so glad that I'm not the only one who likes to match her wrapping paper with her tree! (I also unfortunately match my children's tiny bedroom Christmas trees with their nursery decor.) Your tree (and everything) look simply wonderful.

April said...

Wow, your decor is beautiful and I love how innovative you are with your refurbished furniture! I can't wait to see the rest!

Stacy said...

Very modern yet vintage at the same time. So basically...it is a perfect representation of the two of you. Lindsey I am very jealous that you can sew, I'm pathetic and have never even tried.
And thanks Patrick for not making any "snarky" remarks on my post, though I'm sure you had a couple of really good ones about the nose part, or probably something to do with the "ice queen" or something. Oh, who am I kidding, I love the snarky remarks! Keep em coming.