Wednesday, May 07, 2008

So there's my wife.


Lindsay doesn't think she's funny. But she is. She thinks I'm the funny one. I am. But what she doesn't know about funny people is that they really only respect other funny people. I could never have married a non-funny person (we call you "Normals"). Lindsay has this way of tricking people into thinking that she is all business. My newest sister in law Mallory (who won the Letter Mug) said after spending the week with us in New York: 'I always knew that it takes a certain kind of woman to love a Livingston man, and now I've seen that Lindsay is that kind of woman.'

She's funny. I think it gets buried under her wealth of other qualities, but there, nestled under brilliant and stunning, is funny. And funny has the ability to push down brilliant and stunning and rise to the top! Never is this more obvious then when she does...' The Dance.' She has 'The Dance' in her quiver and she knows when to use it. I'm sorry to say that usually 'The Dance' is preformed while barely clothed--but it has the ability to transcend even the thickest of coverings. I could not begin to describe 'The Dance' anymore than one could explain chartreuse to a blind man. But know this: whatever misconceptions you may have about Lindsay's grace and urbanity she can , at any time, shed the confines of dignity and crack her limbs into paper-piercing angles and flap the unsuspecting extremities with the conviction and determination of a drowning ferret.

This is not to say that she can't dance. We've gone dancing more than once and she glides across a ballroom (cultural hall) with the greatest of ease. No, if she just couldn't dance then it would not be funny--far from it...far, far from it. But the fact is, she knows she has it and that it's to her contrary and she uses her talent for the amusement of others.

I fear I've painted a picture of Lindsay dressed only in seven veils, dancing for me while I clap like a child, but more accurately, I see myself as the ghost of Christmas past, Fat and Jolly atop of pile of fruit and turkey legs , braying loudly as my favorite mute wood nymph tells the story of her family's journey through the tempest of electro-shock therapy. That, I feel, is a more accurate, if not specific, picture.

I really could go on and on about jokes made impeccably, or wit displayed with perfect awareness of human nuance. But why should I have all the fun? You all know her well and nothing picks up a drooping spirit like a gathering of friends commenting on the many times you've made others smile. So, without putting too much though into it, recount a funny moment you and Lindsay have shared. I would love to hear them and she could use the reminder 'lest she hangs up her dancing shoes for good.

~P

15 comments:

kerry said...

Reading all this about your wife really makes me even more sad that we didn't get a chance to meet her.

Unknown said...

Too many to count.

Let's just say both she and you crack me up more than I return the favor.

How about when I laughed constantly when I visited you guys for 4 days in October of '05? That wasn't all P. It was often L and I am happy to call you both "funny friends."

Anonymous said...

My favorite recent Lindsay moment -- hooray for having recent Lindsay moments! -- was on Saturday when we were leaving the Guggenheim and Patrick saw a street vendor and said, "I want to see if he has nuts." And I said, "I got your nuts right here." And Lindsay said, "Don't take those, honey." That made me laugh and laugh, and I told someone else about it later, and it made him laugh and laugh, too.

Michelle said...

Patrick. I heart you. And I heart your wife. She's looking so foxy as a brunette! Hope life in NYC is going well!

Hailey said...

I can't recall a specific instance, but remember when Lindsay and I were in Underground Improv together? She is hilarious.

My new favorite expression today is the "Normals," and I am going to use it some time this week in a very elitist way (in my head.)

S&F Seminario said...

Well I wish I'd had more of my own Lindsay moments because as much as I think you're great, Patch, I think your wife is out of this world. I feel like I always benefit from any conversation I have with her, but as this is not about inspirational Lindsay moments I will say that I thought it was pretty funny when she pretended to have forgotten the cheesecake from Carnegie Deli, and then when we got home she pretended to have eaten it. Fernando's blood pressure. It probably went up from EATING the cheesecake anyway.

Anonymous said...

Lindsay has plenty of material. It's just hard to laugh at her quips because she has such glamorous eyebrows, and people don't usually associate glamor with wit.
Funny, just last week I was trying to convince Justin that I am 'playful'… to no avail.

Lisa said...

I will remember, for the rest of my life, the expression Lindsay had on her face when my 18 month son (it was Owen), felt her up in the back seat of our car as she said, "Well now!"

petie said...

Don't you feel sort of bad for normals? Normals often say to me or my wife - "Oh my gosh, you are so funny!! You are the funniest person I know!!" And I think, "That's sad. I'm not even close to the funniest person I know." And when I think that I am usually either thinking of you and Lindsey or Chris and Lisa. Or Eric. Or Ken...oh wait, I have a million funny friends.

Unknown said...

That last comment was by me. Didn't realize Petie was signed in. Or that she has a wife.

Creative Mama said...

what a darling post... it's fun to see a husband dote on his wife...

The Davies Family said...

Hey Patrick, its Alexis Gustin..I don't know how long its been..I think the last time I saw you was in the Wilk at good ol BYU and you were talking about Sheri Wiltbank..crazy that was so long ago. Hey next time you make an 11 hour drive to Buffalo..drop by! Then at least you'll have somewhere warm to go and have a tour guide!

Casey&Mal said...

I love how "Normals" is the label for us non-funnies. I liken it to being like "Muggles", for truly, those who are not at all funny are non-magical people, right?

PS Love the quote - I'd forgotten I'd said it, but I know I meant it! You're both just right.

Jenny said...

Hey, it's Jenny "I'll Strip". It is so fun to hear from you. We've moved to Pleasant Grove so I no longer have the pleasure of seeing your parents every week.

O.K., so your description of Linsay's "dance" had me laughing for quite a while. I love how you describe things and Patrick, you are someone that is a one-in-a million. I'm so glad there was someone as amazing as you are that was willing to be your companion ;) so you wouldn't have to settle for anything less then what you deserve. Linsay is truly one in a million as well!

I checked out Joanie's blog and I'm relieved to see it was something she regreted, I thought maybe I had done something to her that she was still upset about. Yikes. I'm relived it was the other way around. Could she be anymore perfect? I've always thought so highly of her, wished I could be just like her.

Thank you for your beautiful, funny entries on your blog. I love that both you and Lindsay blog and provide me with such great entertainment so late at night. I'm remembering such funny times with you like, when we were in Cedar City and we found out we had the Security Channel of the Pool on our T.V. You kept going in and out by the pool, moving things and doing silly things to the people that were swimming while we watched back in the hotel room laughing our heads off? Good times. I feel priviledged to be counted as one of your friends Patrick. And congratulations on your job promotion!

topher clark said...

super super super funny. and it happens when you don't expect it.