Monday, March 02, 2009

Snow Day



So, overnight we were hit by what the tv weatherman is calling a "classic nor'easter," and it is in the process of dumping around a foot of snow on us. In March! I mean, really, I was just getting ready to write a post about spring, and the loveliness of winter finally being over. Ah well. Our friend Shiaffu says there's always two days of snow in March around here, and then it turns to spring, so let's hope yesterday and today count as the two days.

In happier news, I have the day off because of the snow! Yipee! I love unexpected days off. My regular days off are filled with the scheduled flotsam and jetsam of my existence: exam prep, laundry, grading papers, doing the dishes. Unexpected days off seem full of such promise and the possibility I'll have some time to do something I wouldn't have otherwise (like blog!). So, as I sit here listening to the symphony of hisses, tweets, and knocks emanating from our radiators, I wish you all a happy March 2nd: may yours be pleasantly unexpected as well!

{Photo from Flickr}

6 comments:

Momma said...

Congratulations on your special day off! I too was watching for harbingers of spring. We only have gray clouds, no fluffy white clouds yet, with bright, eye stinging blue sky.
Enjoy your new found day, mostly over by now.
Love forever,
Momma

Anonymous said...

Oh Lindsay, I also am a fan of snow days, symphonic radiators and wise friends from India. Especially snow days as a reprieve from teaching art to a clique of girls who I've given the collective title "Veruca Salt."

Hope you don't mind me making your blog my one exception to swearing off blogs in general... If there is a special Icelandic name for "blog," THAT would be more fitting, as yours is both poetic and whimsical.

Hailey said...

That is a beautiful picture, wow!

Anonymous said...

It's that whole "March - In like a Lion" thing. Enjoy the last of the snowballs!

Momma said...

Hey,
I am still watching you...Momma

Lauren said...

Hi Lindsay, I stumbled upon your blog while looking at Matt Claytons page. I'm guessing you had a short stint at UVSC? I had you for 2010 and have since then looked back and appreciated your class. A good teacher can make that for me. So...just wanted to say thanks! Plus I've always thought your name suited you so perfectly. Are you checking my grammar?